Tuesday, March 2

Young Stags win cracking FA Youth Cup tie

Young Stags win cracking FA Youth Cup tie

The FA Youth Cup – 1st Round Qualifying

Thursday 20th September 7:45pm

The Testwood Community Stadium

AFC Totton 4 – 2 Wimborne Town (After Extra Time)

The young Stags moved into the next qualifying round of the competition after winning a thrilling game in extra time. In blustery conditions, the visitors had an early chance when a free kick into the box was cleared and the resulting shot flew over the bar. Totton responded well with Sam Muddiman going close with a 25-yard shot that was tipped over the bar by the Town keeper.

On 14 minutes, a poor goal kick by the Town keeper went to James Matthews who played the ball inside to Harry Edmondson. His threaded pass picked out Matt Wotton on the edge of the area, but his shot was blocked and cleared from danger. Totton took the lead after 15minutes when Sam Muddiman collected the ball just inside the Town half, before running on and drilling a 35-yard shot into the bottom corner of the net. Totton continued to press forward, but it was Town who equalised after 28 minutes. After moving the ball around the box, the Town player fired the ball past keeper Mitchell Jackson.

Totton almost replied when James Matthews picked out Josh Carey, who turned and saw his shot from 12 yards pushed behind for a corner. On 32 minutes, Town were awarded a free kick just outside the box which was saved by Mitchell Jackson. Town continued to threaten, but some determined defending from Patryk Lachowicz & Luke Betteridge cleared the danger. Totton almost regained the lead just before half time, but Josh Carey saw his shot crash back off the crossbar.

Half Time: AFC Totton 1-1 Wimborne Town

Totton began the second half brightly and with 52 minutes gone, Harry Edmondson’s crossfield pass picked out Matt Wotton just inside the box and his shot went behind for a corner. On 55 minutes, Jack Diaper picked out James Matthews as he ran down the right. He crossed to Harry Edmondson by the penalty spot, but his shot was blocked. Totton continued to press forward, with Harry Edmondson picking out Josh Carey on the edge of the box, who cut inside and saw his shot tipped over the bar.

On 60 minutes, Town took the lead against the run of play. They broke upfield, played the ball inside the penalty area for a Town player to run on and slot the ball past Mitchell Jackson. After 67 minutes, Totton defender Tyler Beech was replaced by Sam Richardson, following a clash of heads. After 72 minutes, a good run down the left ended with Sam Richardson crossing to Josh Carey, but his header was saved by the keeper.

On 73 minutes, Town were thwarted when Ben Pike cleared a dangerous ball behind the Totton defence. After 78 minutes, Town missed a great opportunity to extend their lead. They broke down the right and played the ball inside to an unmarked player, but he put the ball wide from 12 yards out.

The young stags never gave up and deservedly equalised with 2 minutes of normal time remaining. Matt Wotton broke down the right & played the ball inside the box to James Matthews. He turned and rolled the ball back to George Toal who struck the ball home from 12 yards out.

Full Time: AFC Totton 2-2 Wimborne Town (90 Mins)

With the rain lashing down and the cup match having to be decided on the night, the game moved into 30 minutes of extra time. Totton looked dangerous going forward and took the lead with 12 minutes of extra time gone. The ball was played forward and Matt Wotton beat the Town defence but was fouled inside the box as he was about to shoot. Harry Edmondson stepped up and put the resulting kick past the diving keeper to make it 3-2.

With Ben Pike and Patryk Lachowicz soaking up any pressure in defence, Totton continued to press forward. After 17 minutes of extra time Totton increased their lead when James Matthews won the ball on the edge of the box, ran inside and fired past the keeper to make it 4-2.

With 10 minutes remaining, Connor Stevens broke forward but saw his shot on target saved & moments later he fired an effort just wide from the edge of the box.

Full Time: AFC Totton 4-2 Wimborne Town (AET)

The U18’s reward for winning the tie is a 2nd qualifying round tie at Totton & Eling.

Next up is a home game v Stoneham on Tuesday evening.

Please share: