Friday, June 5

Match Report – AFC Totton 3 Barnstaple Town 1

Match Report – AFC Totton 3 Barnstaple Town 1


AFC Totton 3 Barnstaple Town 1

AFC Totton got the season off to a flyer with a deserved victory over Barnstaple Town at the newly named ‘Total Branding Community Stadium’.

Totton were the better side in the opening 45 minutes with Craig Feeney missing a great chance with a close range header in just the 2nd minute.

Toby Adekunle was looking very lively in the opening exchanges and he made himself some space before whipping a cross into the box, but the ball just evaded the incoming Feeney.

Totton thought they had taken a 10th minute lead when Callum Chugg buried a header past Robbie Powell but he saw his effort disallowed for a push, which appeared harsh.

At the other end the visitors had their first effort of the afternoon on 27 minutes when Shaun Copp’s long range effort was nowhere near troubling Shane Murphy.

Adekunle then flashed a shot well over the bar from 30 yards out on 36 minutes then a moment or two later Curtis Young weaved his way into the box before shooting at goal only to see his effort blocked, the ball then ran loose to Pip Nolan who also saw his shot blocked before the Barum defenders could clear.

Just before the break Barnstaple’s Chris Ibbesson met a corner with a header but it was blocked by a Totton defender and the danger was averted.

Half Time AFC Totton 0 Barnstaple Town 0

The Stags got off to the perfect start in the 2nd period when a poor pass from a red shirt left the Barum No3 Jordan Walton in trouble and FEENEY was quick to pounce by seizing the loose ball and getting in behind Walton, the Stags striker entered the right hand angle of the box before calmly slipping the ball past Powell and into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

Totton should have doubled their lead when club legend Nathaniel Sherborne made a mess of a good opportunity by shooting wide from inside the box when he seemingly had space to get in a decent effort on goal and a moment or two later Stuart Mott headed over from 8 yards as Totton pressed for a 2nd.

The Barum then levelled when Karl Rickard headed home from a free kick out on the Barnstaple left. The ball was pumped into the centre of the box where Rickard rose with Shane Murphy but Rickard got to the ball before the stags keeper to level the game up much against the run of play.

Ian Oliver then whipped over a cross which was met by the head of Sherborne but Sherbs downward header was saved by Powell in the Barum goal.

On 70 minutes a corner from Jack Masterton was met with a powerful header from Stuart MOTT at the back post to restore the Stags lead. It was no more than Totton deserved.

Barnstaple then made substitutions and this gave them a little impetus as they tried to push forward for an equaliser. The Barum forced a couple of corners, one of which was met by the head of Kai Fisher who watched his header got wide.

Totton had made substitutions themselves and one of those substitutes Nimes Pina scored with his very first touch of the ball when a long kick from Shane Murphy seemed to be misjudged by the Barnstaple defence and the ball dropped in behind them for PINA who was quick to see the his chance and he just slipped the ball past Powell to secure three points for the Stags.

Full Time – AFC Totton 3 Barnstaple Town 1

MOTM Mott celebrating his goal yesterday


Please share: