Friday, August 14

Match Report: Bridgwater Town v AFC Totton

Match Report: Bridgwater Town v AFC Totton


Bridgwater Town 3 AFC Totton 1

By Sean McGlead at Fairfax Park

The Stags set off for Somerset this morning eager to see an improvement after Monday’s very disappointing loss at Fleet Town.

Stags caretaker boss Steve Hollick had a few injuries to contend with prior to today’s match. Liam Hibberd was still suffering the effects of a head injury sustained at Fleet Town and Taylor Edwards was suffering with a back injury. Ellis White was recalled to the starting line-up whilst Young 16 year old Jake Rawkins was handed a start. Another 16 year old made his full debut at Bridgwater today and that was midfielder Jake Burgess. James Jennings returned to the bench whilst Nathan Hurst had to settle for a place beside him.

The game started briskly with the home side and the Stags both having attacks in the opening moments that came to nothing.

Totton started knocking the ball around quite well and their movement looked good and this helped the visitors create a couple of opportunities, firstly Jake Burgess tried a curling 30 yard effort that went wide of the left hand upright. Then another Totton move ended with the Stags midfielder Jack Hoey shooting just wide from 25 yards.

On 7 minutes the home side made a break into the Stags half and a ball out to the left saw Kyle Tooze seemingly handle a bouncing ball as he strode towards the Stags box, the referee waved play on as Tooze got ever closer to the Stags goal, the Robins left back then hit a low shot from 8 yards that Steve Mowthorpe got down to save which resulted in a corner. Once the ball went out of play the Stags players made their feelings known to the referee, they were adamant that the Bridgwater left back had handled the ball and that the referee should have whistled and awarded Totton a free kick.

An early injury after just 10 minutes to Bridgwater’s Jack Allward saw him replaced by James Byrne.

Totton then forced a couple of corners, one of which resulted in Stuart Mott heading just over after 12 minutes.

Despite Tottons bright beginning they found themselves behind after 15 minutes. Young Jake Rawkins committed a foul out on the Stags left. The referee awarded the Robins a free kick about 35 yards out. Tom Knighton floated the ball into the box, the Stags keeper Steve Mowthorpe came out to try and deal with the situation, but he didn’t quite reach the ball and as a result this gave Joe Bushing the simple task of heading into the empty net.

Totton quickly got back at their hosts and Nathaniel Sherborne found himself in a position to try a 30 yard shot that went just over the crossbar.

Kyle Tooze was then put through for Bridgwater and he attempted to lob the advancing Steve Mowthorpe, but the Bridgwater left back could only watch his effort drop well over the crossbar.

The Stags then conceded a 2nd goal and again it was a disappointing one to concede. A high cross came into the area and Rob Flooks attempted to head it clear, unfortunately though Flook’s header lacked power and distance and the ball ended up going straight up into the air, this allowed David O’Hare to simply rise and head it as it dropped back down and the ball flashed past Mowthorpe and it was 2-0 to the Robins.

The game turned a bit scrappy up until the half time interval with only the only noteworthy incident being a foul on Jake Rawkins resulting in a 25 yard free kick from Sherborne that was tipped over the bar by Bridgwater’s Ben John after 41 minutes.

Half Time…………….Bridgwater Town 2 AFC Totton 0

There was very little in the way of goalmouth action early in the 2nd half with only a couple of substitutions to report.

Nathan Hurst came on for Totton replacing Rob Flooks.

Charlie Bridges came on for Bridgwater for Kyle Tooze.

The Stags were having plenty of the ball and on 58 minutes a Totton move ended with a Jake Burgess shot being charged down, the ball ran loose to Craig Feeney who tried to put a shot into the right hand corner of the net but Ben John tipped the ball wide for a corner.

After the hour mark Totton pulled a goal back when a right wing corner was met by the head of Stuart MOTT whose powerful header left Ben John with no chance. The hope was now that the Stags would kick on and get something from a game where up until this point they had given as good as they had got, they had made two mistakes up until now and they had been punished for both.

The Stags made another change bringing on James Jennings for Jake Rawkins.

Disaster then struck the Stags once more after 76 minutes when a cross into the box bounced up awkwardly for centre half Ellis White and this allowed David O’Hare to smash the ball home from just inside the box.

Joe Bushin had a weak effort from just inside the box that went a couple of feet wide for the Robins after 81 minutes.

Craig Allen was replaced by Ollie Chamberlayne

In injury time Craig Feeney tried to pull another goal back for the stags but he saw his 30 yard effort go way over the crossbar.

Full Time…………Bridgwater Town 3 AFC Totton 1

ATT 128

The AFC Totton line up was…………..

1-Steve Mowthorpe

2-Ellis White

3-Jamie Blackburn

4-Liam Gilbert

5-Rob Flooks (Nathan Hurst 51 minutes)

6-Stuart Mott

7-Jake Rawkins (James Jennings 72 minutes )

8-Jake Burgess

9-Craig Feeney

10-Jack Hoey

11-Nathaniel Sherborne


12-Ben Beckles

17-Steve Hollick





Please share: