Friday, June 5

Match Report: Cinderford Town 4 AFC Totton 0

Match Report: Cinderford Town 4 AFC Totton 0


Cinderford Town 4 AFC Totton 0

By Sean McGlead

The Stags had a long trek to the Forest of Dean to face mid table Cinderford Town at the Causeway Ground yesterday afternoon.

Manager Steve Riley was without Nathaniel Sherborne, Andrew Bridge and Rob Flooks, who was serving a one match suspension.

The opening exchanges saw the Stags give as good as they got. However, it was quickly becoming apparent that the Cindeford left winger Garyn Preen was going to be a tricky customer, he put in a couple of early inviting crosses that were cleared by the Totton defence, so the Stags were going to have to keep an eye on the Ex Southampton academy product, Preen was at the Saints academy with Stags keeper Steve Mowthorpe a few years ago.

The first real chance of the game came when Craig Feeney latched onto a deep cross from Liam Hibberd, Feeney shaped up and tried a shot, which was straight at Cinderford keeper Alex Harris, Harris saved Feeney’s effort with is legs.

Cinderford were quick to retaliate when Joe Turley got through on goal and pulled a fine save from Steve Mowthorpe, the Stags stopper palmed Turleys effort wide of the his left hand post for a corner.

On 12 minutes Cinderford had the ball in the Totton net through George Lloyd, but the Cinderford No 10 was adjudged to have handled the ball before netting, so his effort was disallowed.

Totton went down the other end and earned themselves a couple of corners, the first corner was dealt with by the Cinderford defence, but the 2nd corner saw Chris Onoufriou shoot at goal only for Harris to make a save.

Totton had another good spell of possession and earned themselves another corner, the corner from Gilbert went to the edge of the box where Feeney laid the ball off to Bullpitt but Bullpitt was nudged off of the ball before he could pull the trigger.

Cindeford then went up a gear and George Lloyd saw an effort saved by Mowthorpe just before they took the lead.

The opening Cinderford goal came on 25 minutes when the dangerous Garyn Preen went down the left and put in a peach of a cross for Ethan Moore to head home superbly down to Mowthorpes left.

Just two minutes later Totton lost possession on the left side of midfield inside their own half, a few passes later George Lloyd had the ball at his feet just inside the Stags box and he buried his shot past Mowthorpe and it was 2-0.

Stags boss Steve Riley made an early substitution by bringing on Zac Mouland for Joe Maxwell.

Totton were almost gifted a route back into the match when Alex Harris sliced a goal kick to Feeney, Feeney tried his luck with a shot and Harris redeemed himself by saving, sending the ball into the side netting for a corner. From Liam Gilberts corner Chris Onoufrriou headed wide.

Cinderford had a chance to increase their lead when a quick move downfield saw George Lloyd have a shooting opportunity, which Steve Mowthorpe saved comfortably.

Zac Mouland then picked the ball up on the Totton left, he then cut inside and sent a rasping shot just over the crossbar.

Disaster then struck for Totton five minutes before half time when a slip by Chris Onoufriou allowed Garyn Preen in on goal, as Preen tried to round Mowthorpe, the Stags keeper brought him down and a penalty was awarded and Steve Mowthorpe was harshly sent off. The reason I say that the sending off was harsh was because the Cinderford winger was actually heading away from the goal at the time of the alleged contact being made.

Stags sub keeper Steve Hollick then came on for Jamie Bullpit to face the penalty.

Ethan Moore took the penalty and Steve Hollick made a great save as he pushed the Cinderford striker’s effort over the bar.

Just before the half time whistle Cinderford scored a fortuitous effort when Adam Powell tried a shot from about 30 yards out, his shot caught a deflection as it flicked up off of Ethan Moore and over Steve Hollick and into the net.

Half Time………. Cinderford 3 AFC Totton 0

Steve Riley made a third substitution, bringing on Taylor Edwards for Chris Onoufriou.

The first half of the 2nd half was all Cinderford, there were a number of good chances for the Foresters to add to their three goal advantage with efforts for Turley, Odiero, and Preen (twice) and Moore (Twice).

On 67 minutes Cinderford did increase their lead when after a bit of a goalmouth scramble, Ethan Moore smashed the ball home from close range.

Cinderford then made a triple substitution. From that point on Totton had plenty of possession and they created a number of chances, one of which saw Feeney shoot wide on 71 minutes.

Totton were then offered a chance of a consolation goal when the referee awarded a penalty after a hand ball in the box.

The referee whistled for Zac Mouland to take the kick then  Zac stepped up and put the ball in the net. The referee then ordered a retake as the Cinderford keeper had a black water bottle in his hand as the kick was taken, the referee did not notice this because the water bottle was black, the same colour as Alex Harris’s gloves. Needless to say, the Totton fans, players and management were pretty angry over the incident. When Mouland re took the penalty Harris saved the kick, just fuelling the anger further.

Mouland, Hurst and Feeney had a late efforts to get a consolation for Totton, but such was their luck that they couldn’t find a way past Harris or their efforts were off target.

To the players credit they kept battling on, but the mistakes they made, especially in the first half, proved very costly indeed.

All in all not a great afternoon for the Stags.

Full Time…..Cinderford Town 4 AFC Totton 0

[tb_match id=”3035″]


Please share: