Tuesday, April 7

Match Report: Wimborne Town v AFC Totton

Match Report: Wimborne Town v AFC Totton



Wimborne Town 0 AFC Totton 2

By Sean McGlead at The Cuthbury

The Stags went into today’s game at Wimborne on the back of three consecutive victories. So the lads travelled to Dorset in good heart for their first away game of 2015.

Manager Steve Riley was forced to make one change to the side that beat Bashley 4-0 last week. Billy Lowes was injured and he was replaced by Nathan Hurst. Steve Hollick was restored as the substitute keeper.

The game started end to end without a clear chance being created in the opening few minutes. Totton were however, awarded a free kick out on the right after 5 minutes. It was around 30 yards from the goal line and a few yards in from the touchline. The kick was taken by Mike Gosney who floated in a delightful ball towards the far post where Stags centre half Rob FLOOKS rose and headed the ball into the net from a few yards out to give the Stags the perfect start.

The early goal gave the Stags some zip to their play and within a couple of minutes they could, and maybe even should have been 2-0 up. Craig Feeney was out on the right and he cut into the box where he played a low ball towards the penalty spot where Zac Mouland was waiting, Zac swept a shot towards goal, but it went just wide of the right hand post.

Wimborne then tried to create an opening or two and it was the Magpies who had the next effort on goal. They were awarded a free kick out on their left and where it was swung into the Totton box. The ball was flicked on towards the centre of the six yard box, where Sam Griffin could only get a faint touch, unfortunately for the Wimborne No 7 Steve Mowthorpe dealt with the effort quite easily.

The game then went through a scrappy spell for around 10 minutes or so without any noteworthy chances.

Wimborne then got down their left on 23 minutes and their left back Ian Oliver put over a wicked cross that had Totton keeper Steve Mowthorpe back-tracking, as it came down and hit the crossbar before it went out for a goal kick.

Then a long Totton ball downfield was flicked on by Nathaniel Sherborne into the path of Zac Mouland, Mouland then let fly with a half volley from 20 yards, but Jason Harvell, the Wimborne keeper stood tall and managed to hold the shot, that Mouland had caught quite well.

Wimborne then tried to create a chance down the middle, Jamie Davidson found himself about 25 yards from goal, the Magpies No 8 laid the ball out to his left where Sam Griffin let fly with a shot that went high and wide of Steve Mowthorpe’s goal.

Totton then went down the other end and a right wing cross came in from Liam Hibberd, Nathan Hurst met it with a header that lacked power and direction.

With half time approaching Wimborne were pinning Totton back and they had two good efforts that produced two cracking saves from Stags keeper Steve Mowthorpe. Firstly, Ian Oliver span and hit a wicked low shot from just inside the box that Mowthorpe tipped wide, From the resulting corner the ball was only half cleared by the Stags defence and Louis Kellaway hit a fierce goal bound shot that Mowthorpe did brilliantly to tip over the bar.

Half Time……. Wimborne Town 0 AFC Totton 1

Totton had a great opportunity to double their lead early in the 2nd half, Wimborne’s substitute Tom Biles was caught dithering on the ball around 35 yards from the Magpies goal, the ball was passed sideways into the path of Craig Feeney who took the ball into the right hand side of the box and, the Stags top scorer tried to put a shot down to Jason Harvell’s right, but the Wimborne keeper managed to save Feeney’s effort with his legs and the danger was cleared.

Sam Griffin was a constant menace for the Magpies and he was the next player to have a shot on goal for Wimborne, the Magpies midfielder saw his effort from the edge of the box pushed wide by Steve Mowthorpe for a corner.

Totton tried to get forward and Craig Feeney played a ball out to Mike Gosney out on the left, around 25 yards out, Gosney then let fly with a shot that was not one of the silky winger’s better efforts, as it was well off target.

Wimborne then had a spell of pinning Totton back, but the Stags defence were getting in blocks and denying the Magpies time and space.

Totton then went on the attack once more and Liam Gilbert had a really good 30 yard shot at goal that Jason Harvell did really well to save for the Magpies.

Totton then wasted a really good chance to score when substitute Taylor Edwards went after a punt downfield. Jason Harvell came rushing out of goal to clear any danger, I couldn’t quite see what happened next due to my viewing point in the Wimborne stand, but my guess is that Harvell’s attempted clearance must have hit Edwards and the ball ended up going into the centre of the box where Craig Feeney had only a defender to beat to put the ball in the net, somehow the Totton striker put his effort wide with Harvell scampering back towards his goal.

With 10 minutes remaining Totton were awarded a free kick around 20 yards out after a foul on Craig Feeney. Mike Gosney stepped up and took the free kick, the Stags legend sent the kick millimetres wide of the left hand post.

With Wimborne committing men forward in search of an equaliser Totton then hit them with a sucker punch. Nathaniel Sherborne slipped a ball through to Craig Feeney in the box and FEENEY slipped a shot past Harvell and into the bottom right hand corner to seal the points for the Stags.

Wimborne to their credit kept going, and in injury time they were awarded a free kick 25 yards out left of centre. Sam Griffin too the kick and it looked to be heading just inside the right hand post, somehow Totton keeper Steve Mowthorpe stuck out his left arm, in an ‘inspector gadget’ type of way and he somehow tipped the ball wide.

ATT 261

Full Time…………. Wimborne Town 0 AFC Totton 2

The Totton line up was……………..







7-Mouland (12-Edwards 73)


9-Feeney (15-Maxwell 90+1)






GK Hollick

Please share: