Monday, January 20

Match Center

1st Team

Yate Town


AFC Totton

Bet-victor D1 South Saturday 23 February @ 15:00 Away Venue


Yate Town 1 AFC Totton 1

After the disappointment of a home defeat to Larkhall last week, the Stags supporters could’ve been forgiven for thinking that a trip to 2nd place Yate Town was the last thing that they needed as they attempt to get back on track. However, their fears were unfounded because the Stags put in a great shift to come away with a very good point, but the Stags were very close to claiming all three points.

Louis Langdown made two changes to the eleven that started the Larkhall game. In came Robin Nicholls and Dave Allen in place of Alex Haynes and Jason Brooks, who had to settle for a place on the bench alongside Papa and Adam Wilde.

Totton started the game confidently, going toe to toe with the 2nd placed bluebells. The closest Yate got to the Totton goal in the early exchanges was when Olly Mehew shot over from close range following a corner from the right, after Jack Twyman’s deflected shot went wide.

On 11 minutes Stuart Green bustled his way through traffic in midfield and emerged with the ball but Yates on loan keeper from Bristol Rovers Alexis Andre managed to clear as far as one of his team mates who then lost possession to Justin Bennett, who attempted an effort at goal, which was deflected wide. From Jack Masterton’s resulting corner Jack Smith headed over.

Tottons game plan was working well with the hosts chances being limited, Louis Langdowns side were standing up to the undoubted physical threat posed by Yate.

This was by no means a backs to the wall effort from the Stags, they were getting forward as much as Yate, but as yet they hadn’t had a clear cut chance. In truth neither side had a shot on target with defences on top so far.

Totton had a half chance on 25 minutes with Bennett getting on the end of Eddie Perrett’s long throw only to see his effort blocked close to goal

Yate retaliated with their first shot on target, Adam Price got through in the box and saw his effort saved by the legs of Shane Murphy.

Totton then sent a long ball down field which was flicked on by Bennett, this almost got Green free, but Yate snuffed out the danger.

Then on 37 minutes the Stags stunned their hosts by taking the lead and what a goal it was!

Eddie Perrett had the ball out on the left-hand touchline and he showed some great footwork before he played the ball into Green, Green played the ball on to Bennett, who returned it to Green just inside the box and GREEN unleashed a venomous swerving shot that left Andre in the Bluebells goal bamboozled as it rocketed into roof of his net.

Yates fans were getting frustrated with their sides inability to find a way through a determined and stubborn Totton side. They could only muster an effort from Lewis Leigh Gilchrist before half time and his shot was high and wide and not at all handsome.

Half time: Yate Town 0 AFC Totton 1

You felt that a side as good as Yate were going to improve after the re-start but initially it was a continuation of the 1st half with Totton more than holding their own. In fact, Totton were not far away from increasing their lead when Green almost got on the end of Bennetts low cross from the right. The Stags then forced a corner on the right that Jack Smith headed over.

Yate then started to pin Totton back but the back four were outstanding repelling anything that Yate could throw at them

The Stags were still a threat on the break with Green getting in behind the home defence down the right and he attempted to play a low ball across to Ollie Bradley but Yate keeper Andre cut the ball out. Then Green got in behind the Bluebells defence again and sent a low cross across the face of goal.

Yate started to pin Totton back again and Mehew sent an effort over, after a ball through ball deflected into his path.

The home side then scraped the left-hand post with an effort from the edge of the box before Leigh Gilchrist then dragged an effort wide for the hosts.

Yate had made a couple of substitutions in an effort to save the game and one of those subs Sam Kamara had a low shot gathered by Stags keeper Murphy and Murphy was called upon once more to pluck a shot from the air from Adam Price.

Totton were still defending superbly well but forays into home territory were lessening.

Then on 87 minutes a left-wing cross from substitute David Sims-Burgess was diverted into the air by Connor York and the ball found its way to Mehew who was not expecting it to find him at the back post, and Mehew stooped to head home. Ironically if the cross had gone where it was intended, the Totton defenders would have probably dealt with it, but unfortunately the deflection fooled everybody and fell kindly for the hosts. Nobody can blame York as he was doing his job in trying to cut out the cross. It is just the way things go sometimes and it was very frustrating for Totton when you consider there was 87 minutes on the clock.

Yate then went about searching for a winner, but the Stags stood firm to claim a deserved point.

Full time: Yate Town 1 AFC Totton 1


Please share:

Previous meetings

09 Nov 19 15:00 FA Trophy Yate Town v AFC Totton 6 - 3
23 Feb 19 15:00 Bet-victor D1 South Yate Town v AFC Totton 1 - 1
03 Nov 18 15:00 Bet-victor D1 South AFC Totton v Yate Town 1 - 1
17 Apr 18 19:45 Bet-victor D1 South Yate Town v AFC Totton 0 - 1
09 Sep 17 15:00 Bet-victor D1 South AFC Totton v Yate Town 5 - 0
18 Feb 17 15:00 Bet-victor D1 South Yate Town v AFC Totton 1 - 3
01 Oct 16 15:00 Bet-victor D1 South AFC Totton v Yate Town 1 - 1
16 Jan 16 15:00 Bet-victor D1 South Yate Town v AFC Totton 4 - 2
05 Sep 15 15:00 Bet-victor D1 South AFC Totton v Yate Town 2 - 1
28 Mar 15 15:00 Bet-victor D1 South Yate Town v AFC Totton 1 - 0
16 Aug 14 15:00 Bet-victor D1 South AFC Totton v Yate Town 1 - 3