AFC Totton AFC Totton Pitching In - Partners with Southern Football League

Hayes-Yeading Utd 0-1 AFC Totton_SLPDS-28_Sat17Feb2024.jpg

Hayes-Yeading United_Skyex Community Stadium-1_Feb2024.jpg

Hayes-Yeading United_Skyex Community Stadium-2_Feb2024.jpg


Leon Maloney’s long-range effort saw AFC Totton return to winning ways in the Southern League Premier Division South away to Hayes & Yeading United.

The play-off chasing Stags travelled up the M4 to the Skyex Community Stadium to take on the midtable side. The Stags dropped points last weekend in a 2-2 draw at Swindon Supermarine and were looking to bounce back, as well as cement their status towards the top of the league.

Meanwhile, the home side donned in all-red, were looking to climb further up the ranks and secure their position.

Both sides jockeyed for possession in the early stages of the first half. United saw a key player in Will Salmon substituted early on through injury, replaced by Jerry Wiltshire.

The Stags looked to play the ball long and high into new arrival Tony Lee, recently signed from Poole Town, the forward making his third debut for AFC Totton.

Joan Luque, scorer of a brace a fortnight ago at Swindon Supermarine, had the away side’s first chance of the match, driving inside after the ball broke for him on the half-volley. He met the ball with great technique but it was easily claimed by Jacob Adams.

Reds skipper Cole Brown had the better chance of his side’s first half, driving forward from right back and cutting inside on to his left foot, before fizzing his effort narrowly wide of the near post.

The remainder of the first half saw possession traded back and forth between the two sides, with long balls being sent into channels throughout and periods of decent play here and there.

However, Totton's top-scorer Scott Rendell had arguably the biggest chance of the first half to put The Stags in front, skewing a shot wide after meeting a low Benny Read cross late into the first half.

Both sides went into the break deadlocked at 0-0 – fair to say there weren't many clear cut chances to speak of!

Charlie Kennedy, who was the stand-out performer in The Stags’ backline, met Omar Rowe in a 50-50 challenge early in the second half; United’s No.8 was shown the yellow card.

The second half started out the same as the majority of the first, but the match would soon turn in Totton’s favour.

In the 61st minute, Hayes & Yeading were on the counter attack when Rowe went down again, this time completely untouched by Kennedy. The referee went straight into his pocket to produce a second yellow card for Rowe, before sending him off.

The game then opened up, with Totton being allowed greater freedom to play in the centre of the park. The Stags won a corner several minutes later, which was cleared to the edge of the box as far as Leon MALONEY, who curled over and through the flapping left glove of Hayes & Yeading goalkeeper Adams to open the scoring.

The latter stages of the second half saw mostly combination play down the right flank between Benny Read and Ethan Taylor, one opportunity seeing the winger cutting inside onto his favoured left foot before his shot was blocked.

The Reds fashioned a big chance to equalise late on from a free-kick outside the box on the right, Wiltshire's flicked header flying just wide of the far post.

During six minutes of stoppage time at the end of the game, Totton remained defensively resilient to ensure they took all three points upon the final whistle.

Final Score: Hayes & Yeading United 0-1 AFC Totton

Star Player: Charlie Kennedy
Entertainment Value: 3.5/5
Author: Liam Warren

The LONG READ: Hayes & Yeading United 0-1 AFC Totton

Get your logo here