Friday, August 14

North Leigh Match Report

North Leigh Match Report

AFC Totton bring home the points from North Leigh

Attendance: 70

AFC Totton picked up their first 3 points of the season with a well-earned victory against North Leigh.   The game started with North Leigh pushing for an early goal but AFC Totton’s defence started as they meant to carry on and were solid in their defending.

On eight minutes the Stags were on the attack when a ball crossed from the left towards Dan Munday saw the forward taken out by both the North Leigh goalkeeper and right back.  The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot.

Dave Allen put the ball on the penalty spot but had to wait for five minutes while the North Leigh goalkeeper had treatment just off of the field.  When the goalkeeper returned Dave Allen had no problem in putting the Stags ahead.  North Leigh 0 AFC Totton 1.

North Leigh then took the game to AFC Totton but for all their pressure they could not break through the AFC Totton defence who were standing firm.  The longer the first half went on the more frustrated the North Leigh team seemed to be getting.

AFC Totton had one notable attack after half an hour when Curtis Angell let fly from outside of the area.  His shot hitting the side netting with the North Leigh goalkeeper grabbing at fresh air.

HALF TIME – North Leigh 0 AFC Totton 1.

The second half started much like the first with North Leigh on the attack but again the Stags defence were holding firm.  AFC Totton held out in the first five-minute barrage before starting to take the game to North Leigh.

On fifty minutes a corner taken by Jake Burgess saw Pat Wilson superbly rise above the North Leigh defence and bury the ball in net.  North Leigh 0 AFC Totton 2.

Five minutes later the lively Dan Munday was hauled to the ground in the penalty area, but for all the screaming for a penalty from the Stags fans behind the goal, the referee indicated play on.

AFC Totton kept pushing forward and on seventy-eight minutes Dylan Knight took control of the ball before spinning and pushing he ball out to the right wing to Dan Munday.  He beat the North Leigh defender before putting in a fantastic cross for Dave Allen to finish, a superb goal.  North Leigh 0 AFC Totton 3.

In the next five minutes as AFC Totton piled on the pressure both Dave Allen and Jake Burgess hit the post while Dylan Knight had a header go inches wide from another Dan Munday cross.

The last five minutes saw nothing but North Leigh pressure with AFC Totton withdrawing further and further back.  On eighty-nine minutes Callum Mcnish pulled back what was thought to be a consultation goal.

North Leigh went straight on the attack and then on ninety minutes’ scored again, this time through Roger James.  With AFC Totton supporters screaming for the final whistle to be blown there was still time for another North Leigh attack.  With the Stags defence even further back towards their goal a goal mouth scramble ended with defenders throwing themselves in front of the ball.  A mixture of cheers and relief met the Refs final whistle.  A very good game and a great performance by the Stags. FULL TIME – North Leigh 2 AFC Totton 3.

Team. Mowthorpe, Hibberd, Wilson, Roberts, Oliver (**), Williams, Burgess, Angell, Haynes (*), Allen, Munday.

Substitutes. Watts, Hellyer, Knight (*), Hunt (**).

Please share: